POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...American Radio : Re: Old Technology...American Radio Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:58:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...American Radio
From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 Apr 2003 13:30:23
Message: <3ea57c2f$1@news.povray.org>
Renderdog wrote:
  This
> is one of the few images this round that brought out a strong nostagic
> feeling for an old technology.

Which I had expected to be the dominant approach.

> Some of the colors seem a bit strong, and the lighting is washed out a bit,
> leaving some of the objects floating. But there's also many very good bits
> of lighting and shading that look photorealistic.

I agree.  For some reason the overall effect doesn't square with my own
memories of such a scene.  I remember the mahogany and metal parts as
darker, more dense, somehow.

  The tubes are excellent,

There is quite a bit of clever modelling going on.

> and the use of photons for the reflected/refracted light looks great. I
> would have liked to read some technical descriptions of the methods used
> for lighting, texturing, etc., in the description text.
>
> The lighting seems unusually bright. After so many "too dark" images, it's
> nice to see the brilliant colors, but some of the lighter objects seem to
> glow a bit more than natural.

I agree.